Insurance companies have a lot of complex responsibilities. They design specific policies for policyholders, by deciding the risk of a potential policyholder, establishing effective rates that are affordable while trying to earn a profit, all while meeting their claim obligations to their customers.
Although you may think there is no room for high-risk drivers in the above equation, an experienced agent actually wants to help find you find insurance that will make it possible to submit your SR-22.
Who is High Risk?
There are multiple factors that make someone a high risk driver including the following:
- Drivers with a history of accidents
- Drivers with lots of traffic violations
- Drivers with a suspended license
- Drivers with DUI or DWI charges
- Drivers who have repeatedly driven without coverage
- Elderly drivers
- Young drivers
Qualifying for a Policy
Working with an agent who has multiple carriers, including non-standard carriers, and who knows the underwritings of each, will help you to get a policy as a high-risk driver. These kind of agents will know which insurers are less likely to offer a policy based on your history and, in turn, which are more likely to.
To make the process easier for you agent, be sure to:
- Share your full driving history.
- Let them know what you’ve done to become a better driver and prevent further mistakes.
- Take a driving safety class.
- Sustain a clean record.
Maintain your Insurance Once You Get it
Getting the insurance as a high-risk driver is only half the battle. You need to maintain your insurance so you can keep stay on the road. In order to retain your policy:
- Pay premiums in full and on time.
- Send back any bi-annual or annual renewal documents by the deadline.
- Maintain a clean driving record.
Once you are ready to start exploring your Missouri high-risk auto insurance options, please contact us and we will be glad to help you find the right company and policy for all your non-standard needs.
Your agent can assist you with submitting proof of insurance if you are required to through an SR-22 filing. Call today at (888) 607-6499.